SOUTHPAC HEAVY TRUCK BUYERS GUIDE
The most successful operators understand the total cost of ownership, with the initial cost of buying a truck being just one factor in the equation. If you are looking at investing in a new truck we highly recommend you keep reading!
The simple truth is that operators who become fixated on buying a truck with the lowest up front cost in our opinion end up with the least value. They might save $25,000 on the purchase price by going to an inferior product, however that saving pales in comparison to what they may soon experience in operational and maintenance costs. Factoring in revenue and reputation loss when trucks are off the road the long term costs quickly out weigh short term gains. At Southpac we advocate delivering transport solutions that reduce the total cost of ownership over the life of the vehicle and by doing so help customers grow their businesses.
Questions to ask the salesmen
- How many of these trucks have you sold in the last six months?
- What is the brands market share in the 23 Tonne Max GVM category?
- Can you provide independent references for operators who have purchased this truck in the last six months?
- Are you 100% New Zealand owned and operated?
- Are you the sole importer and retailer of your product?
- Can you pick up the phone and talk directly to the factory building the truck or do you need to go through a third party?
- Do you offer a free driver training program for new owners?
- Are your trucks fully compatible with aftermarket GPS/FMS systems?
- Does your choice of truck come with both manual and automated transmissions; can you choose what suits you best?
- How does the resale stack up relative to other brands on the market?
- Can you and your driver test drive a similar truck?
- What is the delivery time for the truck?
- Can you custom build a truck to suit any application in-house?
- Ask to see specific model numbers for driveline components. Not all Roadranger transmissions are equal for example.
- Does the price include ORC (On Road Costs) and what are you specifically getting for those costs?
Parts & Backup
- What truck parts do you carry in the country?
- How many locations stock these parts?
- How quickly are replacement parts delivered; hours, days, weeks, months etc?
- What is your fulfilment rate on orders?
- If the cab was damaged tomorrow how long would it take to get a replacement?
- What are the replacement costs for parts that are damaged often?
- Do you have an afterhours service?
Service & Warranty
- What warranties are on offer and what is required to qualify for them?
- Do you have an in-house warranty team?
- Can your warranty team negotiate directly with the factory?
- Do you offer support out of warranty (policy)?
- How many affiliated service locations do you have in the country?
- Do you have an afterhours breakdown service nationwide?
- Can you tailor the service package to meet the trucks application?
- Will servicing the vehicle yourself void the warranty?
At Southpac we are happy to answer any questions you have or provide a second opinion before you buy. We offer transport solutions including after sales support that reduces the total cost of ownership to help your business remain profitable.